Monday, July 21, 2008

Bulletproof Homey, My boy Max (R.I.P)

So...this was an interesting day to say the least...Monday.  Monday on a non-pay week ain't that fun no matter how you cut it.  Sooo..that being said, I'd gotten some good sleep, I was feeling good and I was ready for the day...sooo..I was like "Bring it on!"  Uh..YEAH.

This morning I was headed to work , talking on the phone, passing through the lobby when a Latino guy began signaling to me. Not that I was really paying attention...well, actually this guy had knuckles like he had been fighting IRON MAN, HELLBOY , HANCOCK and BATMAN at the same time.  He also had some Zino Cavarino jeans on (ok, I made that up) and some black wing tips and a shirt that was so dusty I thought he just came out of the sahari desert...Like I said, I didn't even pay attention :)

So, anyway..while I am on the phone, he asks me if I know "Gossen".  And he explains to me that "Gossen" is the big black guy on the 3rd floor.  Since there are only TWO black guys in the building..I am like "yeah..i know that cat" (since I am the small Black guy).. Black Men in Sherman Oaks are like Black Men in STAR WARS.  And unless I missed something, Samuel Jackson was the only Black man in the future (let Geroge Lucas tell it).  So, he goes on to ask me if he can use my phone for a minute.
I (of course, since I don't know this cat from a can of paint) lie and say I am on a call to my Mom..and I proceed to let him know after I am done..he can use it.

I go by my pool (away from this cat) and continue my convo with my friend.  Next thing I know..ZINO CAVARINO comes around the corner and is like: "Man...it's an emergency..can I please use your phone".  And of course he had just seen me get off, so i figure..ok.  I notice a few things about my new friend...as he explains his predicament.  Firstly, he says he got shot over the weekend. YES, SHOT.  I saw Batman over this weekend..this guy gets shot, Life ain't fair I tell ya.  So, I am noticing a few bandages and he is walking a little like Frankenstein (but I didn't know if that was the look or what)..but i wasn't trippin' YET.  SO he lifts up his shirt and has all these bandages and circular pads with wires all over his chest (!?).  

It's 8:30 am, I am standing next to the Latino 2Pac/ 50Cent by the pool and he is making phone calls to people talkin' about "all these people work for me" as he pulls out random pieces of paper. Alejandro is my new friend's name by the way.. I am not sure what is really going on, but I began to get antsy ( as I needed to go on about my day anyway) and I was tiring of Alejandro's random calls on my Blackberry..Plus the wingtips are starting to irk me.  "Maybe I can push Alejandro in the pool" i began to think..and maybe all those electro prods on his chest would short circuit his little *ss. Hmm...That wouldn't be right. 

Anyway, he starts talking about "Gossen" again..and proceeds to tell me he was supposed to meet him at 9am and could just  break into his place if he needed to. At this point, I decide that I have had enough of the bulletproof homey, take my black berry and take my happy *ss to work.  Eeesh.

On a different note, heard some sad news about my boy Max.  Now Max is the kinda guy who,  when I went to see him  and his roomate (one of my dearest people, Wendi) he would take his time coming out of his room.  When he finally did, he would usually come sit on the couch with me and catch up..not a real talkative guy, but we understood each other well. Most times, he was real curious about what I had to eat and would wonder alot of times what was going on with me.  He was cool just watching tv or just takin' relaxing around the apartment..You see..
Max was a CAT.  I never even liked cats until I met him and maybe he knew that because he was cooler than the other side of the pillow and we'd share space and hang like no one's business.
Sadly, he passed today..and If you have ever owned a pet or have one (or even have nice people in your lives) give them a hug, show them some love..because that's all they ever wanted anyway.  Max always showed the unconditional love with me...and we had that unwritten and unspoken bond and connection and so I'll pour out some Milk for my little homey (although I am not sure Max liked Milk)..but in any event...Love you Max..you will be missed!

1 comment:

dnyree said...

what kind of tomfoolery was zino cavaricci up to??? lol